Job Title: Secretary
Date of Opening: 15 September 2020
Date of Closing: 29 September 2020
Date of Interview: 12 October 2020
The Embassy of Maldives in China is seeking an individual for the position of Secretary in the Embassy. The successful applicant must be able to begin work no later than 16 October 2020. The position is for a fixed term of one year with scope for extension at the end of each year based on annual review.
Basic functions of the post
The incumbent of the position acts as personal assistant to the Ambassador and provides secretarial/administrative support to the Ambassador as per the below position description.
- Secure meetings for the Ambassador as and when requested.
- Prepare background information for Ambassador Meetings, functions and events.
- Arrange and maintain record of Ambassador’s meetings, functions and events.
- Prepare messages of greetings for national days and other commemorations and condolences and arrangements of gifts
- Responsible for travel arrangements of the Ambassador, Madam and diplomatic staff
- Seek media opportunity for the Ambassador in consultation with diplomats in charge of media desk.
- Undertake all procedures for VAT Refund as per relevant guideline and documents related to Chinese Customs related matters for diplomatic purposes.
- Assist in updating the Embassy website, particularly in coordination with website developer and check the site for relevant changes and formatting under the guidance of diplomat in charge of Media Division. Check the Chinese version of the website after each update and make changes, if necessary.
- Update Embassy’s Chinese social media platforms.
- Check for any articles related to the Maldives in Print Media, Online News and Local Channels and inform the in charge of Media Division.
- Assist in organizing dinners/lunches/receptions hosted by the Ambassador and in organizing logistics for incoming visits of delegations
- Interpretation during meetings when required.
- Regularly monitor Chinese government websites and media for significant information and developments that may impact diplomatic work and report to relevant officials.
- Assist in China related research to support the work of all Departments of the Embassy.
- Assist in logistical and coordination work to support all Departments of the Embassy.
- In addition to the above attend / assist duties and responsibilities assigned by the Head of Mission.
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- Two years of full-time college-level study in administrative/secretarial coursework, business management, social work, personnel management, communications, accounting, English or a certificate of completion in administrative/secretarial studies from an accredited vocational school.
- Two years of administrative/secretarial experience
- Fluency in Speaking/Reading/Writing English and Chinese are required. This will be tested.
- Must be able to understand Maldivian and Chinese protocols for common professional requirements; must have good judgment and tact in dealing with the public.
- Excellent user knowledge of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Experience in the use of Chinese social media platforms is essential
- Ability to handle a large volume of work quickly and accurately under time constraints and pressure
- Ability to work beyond normal working hours
- Capacity to work with a minimum of supervision; and to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with staff members and others, to have and a high sense of confidentiality, accountability, initiative and good judgment;
- Courtesy, tact and ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
- Excellent communications skills, including good draft correspondence in both English and Chinese
- Excellent command of English and Chinese is required;
The successful applicant will be selected after two rounds of assessment and evaluation.
Round 1: All applicants will be assessed and applicants fulfilling all application criteria will be invited for written test.
Round 2: Top performing applicants from the written test will be invited to the interview.
Final selection will be based on the written evaluation and interview.
Interested applicants for this position must submit in writing a copy of the Embassy of Maldives Job Application form with all relevant and supporting documents to email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org. This form is available with this notice of employment.
Documents to be submitted
- National ID Card copy
- School / College / University certificates (copy)
- References if any