Consular Assistance in China
The Embassy will assist and provide advice to Maldivians living in China who are in need of consular assistance from the Embassy. While undertaking their duties, the staff of the Embassy can be of assistance within the legal and administrative constraints applied in China, as will follow the rules, regulations and guidelines of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Maldives and will also be bound by a set of international rules governing consular work. Among these are Vienna Convention on Consular Relations (1963) and Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (1964).
What we can do for you
• Facilitate assistance in relocating to a safe area or repatriation when there is a civil uprising due to political instability or natural disaster.
• Provide assistance in the case of an accident, serious illness or death and arrange for next of kin to be notified.
• Provide support to help communicate with the next-of-kin during an emergency situation.
• Contact relatives or friends and request them to provide financial assistance for you during an emergency situation.
• Contact the concerned authorities in China and work with them to find Maldivian (s) who is reported missing in China.
Services provided for Maldivian detainees in China
• Regularly visit Maldivian (s) who has been arrested or imprisoned and monitor the matter.
• Inform the family of the detainee(s) if and when requested by the detainee.
• Within the laws of China, facilitate means to deliver financial assistance, letters, medicine and other items received from family and friends to the detainee.
• Provide assistance, within the laws of China, to deliver letters from the detainee to his/her next of kin.
• Arrange to deliver documents relating to judicial matters addressed to Maldivians living in China in order for them to report to relevant Courts in the Maldives.
• Attest documents issued by the Government of Maldives as true copies of the originals.
• Provide assistance in arranging lawyers with regard to legal matters involving Maldivians in China.
• Documents relating to renewal of passports, births and deaths
• Provide assistance to get a new passport in case you lose your passport or your passport is stolen or it is expired.
• Provide assistance in obtaining temporary travel documents for children who are born in China to Maldivian parents.
• Arrange all necessary documents required to return the body of a Maldivian, who passed away in China, to Maldives if the next of kin requests.
• Issue temporary travel document for you to return back to Maldives in case your passport gets stolen or you lose your passport.
• Inform next of kin of the deceased Maldivian in China.
• Issue necessary documents if a deceased Maldivian is to be buried in China.
• Provide information and assist next of kin of the deceased Maldivian in China to be buried or bring back the body to the Maldives.
• Provide pmited financial assistance with regard to above mentioned emergencies small loans which are repayable.
What we can and can’t do for you
• We cannot get you out of prison or obtain special treatment for you in prison.
• We cannot provide funds to pay for your legal costs.
• We cannot intervene or represent you in local judicial proceedings to help you in legal issues.
• We cannot provide legal advice.
• We cannot submit your issues to the judicial courts in China or assist you to do the same.
• We cannot provide funds to take the body of a deceased Maldivian back to the Maldives.
• We cannot provide funds for your travel or medical.
• We cannot pay anyone for their services, on behalf of you.
• We cannot arrange your hotel accommodation or obtain work permit or obtain resident permit or driving license.
• We cannot safeguard your items.
• We cannot receive or deliver personal letters/documents.
• We cannot assist in receiving your pension or any other payments.
• We cannot assist you in finding jobs.
• We cannot assist you to settle business disputes.
• We cannot help you to advertise your business.
The Embassy of Maldives would appreciate it if Maldivians living in mainland China, Hong Kong and Macao would register with us. The information will only be used by the Embassy to contact you to provide assistances and send invitations to various functions and events organized by the Embassy. Most importantly, the information you provide via the “Registration Form” will enable us to extend help to you on crisis situations. This will enable the Embassy to contact your family or next of kin during emergencies too.